R Module CPU Transmission Error

    This was a case happened in 2008.  ERS8600 was not stable and some error messages could be read in log file. These error messages below indicate an error occurs at the transmission between CPU and I/O blade CPU (COP).  The root cause of instability of ERS8600 was not caused by this error but I would like to note it here.



CPU5 [01/09/08 12:05:10] SW WARNING dpmGetActivityBit:ltrSyncSend FAILED for MAC_ADDR/MAC_VLAN. MAC addr: 0x0019b9e739d0,pimport: 21, destslot: 4, status=9
CPU5 [01/09/08 12:05:10] COP-SW ERROR Slot 4: dpmRxSyncReceive: CommandType 155 UnKnown

Explanation:

    The first message indicates the main CPU is not able to send a message to COP (I/O blade c-processor) because the message sending mechanism failed to transfer the message due to lack of resources. Probably message sending mechanism is busy sending other higher priority messages in queue or there is already a big queue of message to be transferred. This problem is likely not impacting the network performance.

    The second one is due to the usage of shared memory between the CPU and the R-module. COP (I/O blade co-processor) reads from shared memory for commands sent by CP (main CPU). Shared memory had been used for another purpose; therefore the content of memory at that time is not valid. So COP is discarding this invalid command. As this message has often been seen in conjunction with the previous message it might be bound to some messages that could not be delivered to the R-module. And will not make any issue in network.

Those messages don’t make any issue in network; therefore it will be moved to trace message.

Posted in Labels: , , |

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous Says:

    Hi,

    Thanks for this post, it helped me understand this error messages, as I did not find any Nortel official documentation talking about this. Are you aware of an official documentation ?

    You are speaking of instabilities, what kind of instabilities did you see ? As I think I have the same behaviour in my network.

    Thanks,

    Mary

  2. Dophi Says:

    Hi,

    Thanks for this post, it helped me understand this error messages, as I did not find any Nortel official documentation talking about this. Are you aware of an official documentation ?

    You are speaking of instabilities, what kind of instabilities did you see ? As I think I have the same behaviour in my network.

    Thanks,

    Mary


    Hi Mary

    There is no public official document talking about these error messages and I got this information from Nortel technical support. When I got this error message on the first time, the firmware version was 4.1.1.1 and ERS8600s had ARP issue on both of them. That ARP issue caused the network be unstable. As I mentioned in the end of the note, those error messages don't make any impact on network, so Nortel will remove them to trace message.

  3. Anonymous Says:

    Hi Dophi,

    Thank you very much for your replay. Curently we are using the 4.1.4.0 software version but apparently they didn't move them to trace messages yet ....

    Regards,

    Mary

  4. Dophi Says:

    Hi Mary

    You are welcome. Personally, I would like to suggest you move the firmware to version 4.1.8.2 to prevent some unexpected issues. That is the most stable version I have used so far. :)

    Regards